Demos chicken rice soup recipe
3 celery ribs
6 fresh sprigs parsley plus 2Tbs chopped fresh parsley
3 fresh thyme sprigs
4 141/2oz cans chicken broth plus 2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 med. carrots,peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
1/2c uncooked long or short grain rice
1. Remove meat from chicken;reserving skin and bones. Coarsely chop 1 celery rib and place in 6 to 8 qt. pot along with chicken bones,skin,onion,parsley sprigs,thyme sprigs,bayleaf,both chicken broths and 6 cups of water.
2. Simmer,partly covered,for 1 hour. Meanwhile shread enough chicken meat to yield 11/2c(pieces about 1" long and 1/4" thick,reserving remaining meat for another use. Cut remaining celery ribs in 1/4" dice.
3. Pour chicken broth through a fine mesh strainer into another large pot,pressing hard on solids with back of spoon,then discarding them. If necessary,skim fat. Add carrots ,diced celery and rice.
4. Simmer,partly covered,stirring occasionally till the vegetables are tender and rice very soft, about 30 mins. Stir in shreaded chicken and chopped parsley.
5. Serve hot. Yields 21/2 qts.